I am a WRITER/EDITOR - My writing has appeared in The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, Slate, McSweeney's, and more. I gravitate toward human interest and memoir writing. I am interested in freelance reporting and essay writing opportunities.
I am also a CALLIGRAPHER - I have always loved handlettering, the meditation of the process and the beauty of the product. The cliche of Catholic school penmanship is true in my case.
I attended Allegheny College where I graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. in political journalism. I earned my M.L.A. in extension studies with a concentration in journalism from Harvard University. Whether full-time or on a contract basis, writing will always be at the cornerstone of my profession.
Journalism engages my technical side, whereas handlettering allows me to use my hands more freely.
21 for Nothing:
1. When I was in the second grade, I drew a picture of my dream adult life in which I was as a single woman who traveled a lot. I was also very tall with long hair. That was my first work of prophetic fiction.
2. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Diehl, was the greatest champion of my writing; I think teaching third grade is one of the highest vocations.
3. I got my first e-mail address when I went to college.
4. I am a yogi with ADD, so slow-moving classes are a special hell for me.
5. My kids troll me regularly, especially about how I loved to read biographies as a kid.
6. Celebrity crush: Ira Glass (that nerdy voice!)
7. First CD I ever bought: Counting Crows "August and Everything After"
8. I brake for stationery shops.
9. I am always overwhelmed by brunch menus, especially by the decision to go sweet or savory or both.
10. The Friendly's Reese's Cup Sundae is still as good as I remember.
11. I have been on one cruise and I hope to never cruise again, unless it is a Disney cruise, which is arguably the most Stuff White People Like thing I've ever written.
12. I do not like comedies whose thrust is to make me painfully uncomfortable.
13. I speak Spanish fairly competently.
14. Gluten and I have a fraught relationship.
15. I had braces twice.
16. I babysat many, many children during my adolescence and it's been such fun for me to see them all grow up to become outstanding adults.
17. I was a faithful diarist all through high school, which is one of the best gifts an adolescent person can give to one's adult self.
18. My sister, my son, and I all have hyperventilative, cry-laughs.
19. I love poetry and especially try to support women poets whenever possible.
20. I married very well and cannot be persuaded otherwise.
21. I collect capes, bottle caps, hats, and art supplies.
My site does use affiliate links. All content copyright Kendraspondence 2004-2018