I am a WRITER/EDITOR - My writing has appeared in The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, Slate, McSweeney's, and more. I gravitate toward human interest and memoir writing. I am interested in freelance reporting and essay writing opportunities.
I am also a CALLIGRAPHER - I have always loved handlettering, the meditation of the process and the beauty of the product. The cliche of Catholic school penmanship is true in my case.
I attended Allegheny College where I graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. in political journalism. I earned my M.L.A. in extension studies with a concentration in journalism from Harvard University. Whether full-time or on a contract basis, writing will always be at the cornerstone of my profession.
Journalism engages my technical side, whereas handlettering allows me to use my hands more freely.
10 for Nothing:
1. When I was in the second grade, I drew a picture of my dream adult life in which I was as a single woman who traveled a lot. I was also very tall with long hair. That was my first work of prophetic fiction.
2. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Diehl, was the greatest champion of my writing; I think teaching third grade is one of the highest vocations.
3. I got my first e-mail address when I went to college.
4. Celebrity crush: Ira Glass (that nerdy voice!)
5. First CD I ever bought: Counting Crows "August and Everything After"
6. I brake for stationery shops.
7. The Friendly's Reese's Cup Sundae is still as good as I remember.
8. I’ve had braces twice.
9. I babysat many, many children during my adolescence and it's been such fun for me to see them all grow up to become outstanding adults.
10. I was a faithful diarist all through high school, which is one of the best gifts an adolescent person can give to one's adult self.
My site does use affiliate links. All content copyright Kendraspondence 2004-2019