I like the rhythm of asking myself the same questions over and over again, so here's the survey I usually do at EOY. 1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? The two biggest newnesses were: a.) going to Minneapolis where I made awesome friends at writers camp b.) launching my own column on Nooga.com.
Also memorable this past year were: Met Lauren Winner. Started my fourth consecutive year working at the same place. Taught a new class just for first year students. Witnessed one of my sibbies get married. Toured Graceland. Moving and having lots of meltdowns about it.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I tried so hard to get into the best shape of my life. The silver lining is that when I couldn't because I kept getting injured, I learned that I was anemic. Knowledge is such power.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, and I am especially ecstatic about the first of my cousins to become a parent. Congrazzles to Ryan and Rachel on the gorgeous Claire!
4. Did anyone close to you die? I'm so extra grateful to answer no this year.
5. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? A book deal.
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Writing a bimonthly column has been so life-giving to me. It has connected me with community members in ways I had not yet anticipated, and my love for Chattanooga has grown immeasurably.
7. What was your biggest failure? I learned some things about teaching this year that were major blows to my ego but I don't call learning from shortcomings "a biggest failure." Just learning to fail forward, as it were.
8. Did you suffer illness or injury? see #2
9. What was the best thing you bought? Um, Just Dance 4 for the Wii is pretty fabulous.
10. What did you get really excited about? My sister TP got married Sarah Koenig is absolutely blowing the doors off investigative journalism with Serial.
11. What was the best book you read this year?
12. Compared to this time last year, are you: – happier or sadder? I have a lot to be happy about – thinner or fatter? Fatter – richer or poorer? About the same
13. What was your favorite TV program? Parenthood The Good Wife Orange is the New Black Season II
14. What was your favorite music from this year? Ryan Adams' newest Bethel Church "It is Well"
15. What were your favorite films of the year? I really liked "Liberal Arts," "Thanks for Sharing," and "One Day"--all on Netflix. Honestly, Big Hero 6 was absolutely adorable.
16. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? On my 34th birthday, I went to a staff meeting and accompanied my hubby at the hospital when his finger got dislocated.
17. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014. I am a better mom when I am in educating-mode versus rebuking-mode. Majoring in the former makes the latter more impactful.