1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? I spoke at a conference of undergrads. I saw Ben Folds. I potty-trained a child. I had a son. He's new! I auditioned for a teaching job. I became a pescatarian. And I did not switch back to being a carnivore the next day.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I am more of a reaffirmation maker. I reaffirmed that fitness was important and joined Baby Boot Camp and have stuck with it since July. Even though I still suck major air. I'm still there,
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
YES! And the world is a better place because of them.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. A dear friend lost her baby. I cannot think of anything worse.
5. What places did you visit?
North Conway, NH Asheville, NC Chattanooga, TN
(besides the usual pilgrimages to Cleveland and Ann Arbor)
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I think this question is impossible. Does any woman want one singular thing for a whole year? I want everything andd nothing, moment to moment. I want more coffee and I want a nap. Time to exercise. A svelt body without trying. Sleep. Sex. Irony. All the colors of the rainbow. The old black is the new black.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
5/20 - Enter: Tatum Jay
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Just giving thanks to God that I could survive the summer. The complications from my son's birth and Loverpants contracting pneumonia posed some heavy challenges. But praises be, we survived.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Failing to eat more vegetables?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Membership to ancestry.com
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Big ups to my daughter who has embraced her new brother with unbridled affection.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Oftentimes, my own. But I also reserve some appalledness for those who text n' drive.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The mortgage, daycare and that sassy lassie Sallie Mae.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Plans for our major move this summer.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
All songs from the musical "Annie."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Double the kids, double the happy b) thinner or fatter? The leaner c) richer or poorer? More comfortable
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Starts with a B, ends with an IBLE.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Hoarding make-up, flipping out about stoopit things that have no bearing on eternity.
20. How will you spend Christmas?
Making merry with all of my McLovins from the MidWest.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Oh my word. Like, swoony googley-eyed meltyhearted in love with our son.
Also, that protein-infused grain quinoa? I LOVE quinoa. Quinoa is for lovers.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men, 30 Rock, the Nate Berkus. Also bought "The Wire" on a lark which is of course magnificent.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
I have only finished one book in 2010, according to Goodreads: Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. So, that is the best book BARNONE that I read this year :) I did just start spending more time in the books of Samuel in the OT, though. Awesome!
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Miranda Lambert, The Band Perry are new to me. Also, latebreaking news to me via "The Sing-Off" -- Committed, Jerry Lawson & Co. are amazing!
26. What did you want and get?
Healthy, dimpley baby.
27. What did you want and not get?
A housekeeper. I'll live.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
"Waiting for Superman." Thought-provoking and tear-jerking.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my 30th birthday, I had a memorable time.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More facetime with extended family.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Ok preggo clothes. Meet e-bay. Go bye-bye.
32. What kept you sane?
Blogging, Baby Boot Camp, much time on my knees on the bathroom rug.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I really appreciate everyone who really stepped up to helping Haiti. Haitians in general are rockstars in my eyes.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm not easily stirred in terms of macro-politics. I'm definitely a microeconomist. This is to say that I am totally saving face for the fact that if I can't DVR it, I'm just not going to get to it.
35. Whom did you miss?
My family, the nuclears and extendeds and dearly departeds, at random intervals.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I had already met my dear friend Acey, but I have gotten to know better in the last year her and her wife and their sweetcheeked gingerbabe Maggie. Their laughter and companionship has really been a spoonful of sugar as I choked down the icky meds some days.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
How 'bout 3 of 'em? a. Your mother may not have been your favorite person for much of your life. But she is your daughter's favorite person. And therefore, she has become one of your favorites, as well. b. An ounce of discipline can lead to several shed pounds. c. You are so much stronger than you think.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I surrender all./I surrender all./All to Thee my precious Savior./I surrender all."